DAY SUPPORT PROGRAM
Homeless men and women have access to showers, laundry and mail delivery services as well as Housing Support Specialists who engage, assess and help connect them to shelter or other housing programs.
This program is based at the Housing Resource Center (HRC) at 104 N. Witchduck Road in Virginia Beach.
Partial Reopening begins Monday, July 13th.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
7:00 AM – 11:30 AM
12:30 PM – 3:00 PM
Wednesday, 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Available services: laundry, showers, housing support and one meal for unsheltered adults (ages 18 and older). Capacity is limited and services will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you access services in the morning, you can not return again in the afternoon on the same day.
If you need shelter, call the Regional Housing Crisis Hotline: (757) 227-5932.
EMERGENCY HOUSING PROGRAM
JCOC oversees the only year round shelter in Virginia Beach for single homeless adults. The shelter is based in the City of Virginia Beach’s Housing Resource Center (HRC) located at 104 N. Witchduck Road. It houses 51 men and women. Housing Support Specialists work with clients to obtain permanent housing and employment.
JCOC works closely with rehabilitation services including Virginia Beach Detox Center, Mental Health Services, and The Veterans Administration Medical Center.
If you need shelter, call the Regional Housing Crisis Hotline: (757) 227-5932
RAPID REHOUSING PROGRAM
JCOC works with area landlords to secure affordable housing options for homeless men and women. Clients receive home based case management for up to two years. Financial subsidies are given on a case-by-case basis.
- Rapid Rehousing (RR) is funded through grants from the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development, and Virginia Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- RR has helped participants find permanent housing since its establishment in April 2014.
- RR’s goal is to reduce someone’s time in homelessness by quickly securing permanent housing and minimize their return to homelessness.
- Housing Stabilization Case Managers recruit area landlord’s in establishing affordable housing throughout Hampton Roads.
- In-Home Case Management services include budgeting, financial literacy and employment assistance.
- Each person is given 1:1 case management.
- Financial assistance
- Rental subsidy
- Security deposit
- Utilities arrearage assistance
- Moving costs
Case Managers Provide:
- Identify affordable housing
- Maintain relationship with landlords
- Negotiate rental amounts
- Client advocacy
- Meet with clients in their permanent housing
- Provide financial literacy
- Create monthly budget
- Promote self-sufficiency
- Help locate/ advocate for necessary resources
For program information or to learn how to become a landlord partner, contact:
Sr. Housing Stabilization Case Manager
757-491-2846, ext. 109
TRANSITIONAL AND PERMANENT SUPPORTIVE HOUSING PROGRAMS
In 2011, we opened a three-story apartment building in Virginia Beach. It has 14 transitional housing units for homeless veterans and 8 permanent supportive housing units for the chronically homeless with disabilities.
The building is designed to provide a safe environment with individually assigned case managers, on-site house management, and optimal peer support to prevent the possibility of anyone falling through the cracks. The choice of a single location over multiple scattered sites also allows for the centralization of community activities and programs.
Clients in Veterans Transitional Housing can stay for up to one year for 10% of their incomes while they work on securing permanent housing. Permanent Supportive Housing clients can stay indefinitely for 30% of their income.
Truly a community effort, the building and these programs have been made possible due to a collaboration between corporate and non-profit agencies, federal, state, and city agencies including the Virginia Beach Department of Housing and Neighborhood Preservation (DHNP); as well as the vision and courage of the dedicated JCOC board members.
For more information about our Transitional Housing Program, please contact:
Senior Case Manager