Housing The Homeless
DAY SUPPORT PROGRAM
Homeless men and women have access to showers, laundry and mail delivery services as well as Housing Support Specialists who engage, assess and help connect them to shelter or other housing programs.
This program is based at the Housing Resource Center (HRC) at 104 N. Witchduck Road in Virginia Beach.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
7:30 AM – 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Wednesday, 7:00 AM – 11:30 AM
Available services: laundry, showers, housing support and one meal for unsheltered adults (ages 18 and older). Capacity is limited and services will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you access services in the morning, you can not return again in the afternoon on the same day.
If you need shelter, call the Regional Housing Crisis Hotline: (757) 227-5932.
EMERGENCY HOUSING PROGRAM
JCOC oversees the only year round shelter in Virginia Beach for single homeless adults. The shelter is based in the City of Virginia Beach’s Housing Resource Center (HRC) located at 104 N. Witchduck Road. It houses 55 men and women. Housing Support Specialists work with clients to obtain permanent housing and employment.
JCOC works closely with rehabilitation services including Virginia Beach Detox Center, Mental Health Services, and The Veterans Administration Medical Center.
If you need shelter, call the Regional Housing Crisis Hotline: (757) 227-5932
RAPID REHOUSING PROGRAM
JCOC works with area landlords to secure affordable housing options for homeless men and women. Clients receive home based case management for up to two years. Financial subsidies are given on a case-by-case basis.
- Rapid Rehousing (RR) is funded through grants from the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development, and Virginia Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- RR has helped participants find permanent housing since its establishment in April 2014.
- RR’s goal is to reduce someone’s time in homelessness by quickly securing permanent housing and minimize their return to homelessness.
- Housing Stabilization Case Managers recruit area landlord’s in establishing affordable housing throughout Hampton Roads.
- In-Home Case Management services include budgeting, financial literacy and employment assistance.
- Each person is given 1:1 case management.
- Financial assistance
- Rental subsidy
- Security deposit
- Utilities arrearage assistance
- Moving costs
Case Managers Provide:
- Identify affordable housing
- Maintain relationship with landlords
- Negotiate rental amounts
- Client advocacy
- Meet with clients in their permanent housing
- Provide financial literacy
- Create monthly budget
- Promote self-sufficiency
- Help locate/ advocate for necessary resources
For program information or to learn how to become a landlord partner, contact:
Sr. Housing Stabilization Specialist
VETERANS TRANSITIONAL HOUSING AND PERMANENT SUPPORTIVE HOUSING PROGRAMS
In 2011, we opened a three-story apartment building in Virginia Beach.
The building is designed to provide a safe environment with individually assigned case managers, on-site house management, and optimal peer support to prevent the possibility of anyone falling through the cracks.
Veterans Transitional Housing: Sixteen veterans live in the apartment building. Rent is 30 percent of their income. Individuals stay for up to one year, receive case management services, work on their permanent housing plan, and are linked to VA services.
Permanent Supportive Housing: Eight chronically homeless and disabled clients pay 30 percent of their income to receive permanent housing. Case management is provided.