EMERGENCY HOUSING PROGRAM
JCOC works closely with rehabilitation services including Virginia Beach Detox Center, Mental Health Services, and The Veterans Administration Medical Center to assure that our clients are properly treated for any disorders that may be an obstacle to their well-being or hinder their progress.
For more information about our Emergency Housing Program, please contact:
RAPID REHOUSING PROGRAM
- This program is funded through generous grants from the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and Virginia Department of Housing and Urban Development
- JCOC Rapid Rehousing Program has helped participants find permanent housing since its establishment in April 2014.
- Main goals are to reduce someone’s time in homelessness by quickly securing permanent housing and minimize their return to homelessness by providing the necessary services in permanent housing.
- Our Housing Stabilization Case Managers reach out to area Landlord’s through cultivation and recruitment to establish affordable housing in Hampton Roads.
- Financial assistance may be provided to cover moving expenses or subsidize rental costs.
- In-Home Case Management for up to 24 months to provide services which include budgeting, financial literacy and employment assistance.
- Creating a collective impact in Virginia Beach by collaborating with The Lighthouse Center.
- Our program’s success is based upon regular communication with our clients and program partners and a commitment to following through on our promises.
- Each person is given 1:1 case management
Services the Program Provides:
- Financial assistance
- Rental subsidy
- Security deposit
- Utilities arrearage assistance
- Moving costs
Services the Case Managers Provide:
- Identify affordable housing
- Maintain relationship with landlords
- Negotiate rental amounts
- Client advocacy
- Meet with clients in their permanent housing
- Provide financial literacy
- Create monthly budget
- Promote self-sufficiency
- Help locate/ advocate for necessary resources
Most of our program participants come to us in crisis with a number of barriers and no support system. No one should have to face a crisis alone and everyone deserves a second chance. We provide our participants with the support they need to get back on their feet and live positive, productive and meaningful lives.
For more information about our Rapid Rehousing Program or to learn how you can become a Landlord Partner, contact a member of our Rapid Rehousing Team.
Housing Stabilization Case Manager
757-491-2846, ext. 106
757-491-2846, ext. 105
TRANSITIONAL AND PERMANENT SUPPORTIVE HOUSING PROGRAMS
In 2011, we opened a three-story apartment building on West Lane in Virginia Beach with 14 transitional housing units for homeless veterans and 8 permanent supportive housing units for the chronically homeless with disabilities.
The building is designed to provide a safe environment with individually assigned case managers, on-site house management, and optimal peer support to prevent the possibility of anyone falling through the cracks. The choice of a single location over multiple scattered sites also allows for the centralization of community activities and programs.
The homeless veterans in our Transitional Housing Program can stay with us for up to one year for 10% of their incomes while they work on securing permanent housing. Those in our Permanent Supportive Housing Program can stay with us indefinitely for 30% of their income.
Truly a community effort, the building and these programs have been made possible due to a collaboration between corporate and non-profit agencies, federal, state, and city agencies including the Virginia Beach Department of Housing and Neighborhood Preservation (DHNP); as well as the vision and courage of the dedicated JCOC board members.
For more information about our Transitional Housing Program, please contact:
Senior Case Manager
DAY SUPPORT PROGRAM
Homeless men and women have access to showers, laundry and mail delivery services as well as Housing Support Specialists who engage, assess and help connect them to shelter or other housing programs. This program is based at the Housing Resource Center (HRC) at 104 N. Witchduck Road in Virginia Beach.
For more information about our Day Support Program, please contact:
WINTER SHELTER PROGRAM
JCOC manages the Winter Shelter Program in partnership with the City of Virginia Beach. Beginning in November an average of 65-80 homeless men and women will find warm refuge each night through March at faith-based organizations throughout Virginia Beach.
How it Works
Numerous partnering organizations commit to host homeless guests for one week, providing a warm place to sleep, as well as serve dinner and breakfast. Guests may be invited to attend special programs or participate in activities after dinner. Volunteers are recruited by the hosts, and JCOC staff is onsite providing support.
Winter Shelter participants may be referred to JCOC’s Emergency Housing and Rapid Rehousing Programs. There these men and women receive help in transitioning from living outside into permanent housing.
See how you and your faith-based organization can participate this year.